8x12 Shed Plans
Building plans for backyard storage shed for your yard or garden
8x12 Backyard Shed Plans
Emailed Plans: $12.99
(8 1/2" x 11" emailed PDF)
Postal Mailed Plans: $17.99
(8 1/2" x 11" postal mailed to you)
All Our Shed Plans Feature:
- FREE - How To Build A Shed eBook included with every shed plans purchase.
- Cost Effective - Our shed plans are designed to make your shed simple and inexpensive to build.
- Easy To Build From - Professionally drawn with step by step instructions to show both an old pro or a first time framer how to build a shed. (see the plans example below).
- Start Now - Instant download - The shed plans are emailed to you when you purchase so you can start immediately. We use the free PDF file format so you can print them on your home printer or we can postal mail them to you.
- Materials List - Easily get bids and use the list numbering system to know what part goes where.
The 8x12 storage shed plans include:
- 6'-5" wall height - This is the most cost effective wall height because it saves on material and allows the home built shed door to be on any wall. For taller wall sheds check out the 8x12 Gable Tall Version.
- Home Built Doors - 4' wide home built door. For pre-hung door visit our Tall Sheds.
- Multiple Door Options - Drawings explaining how to build the door on the end or sides of the shed.
- 5 Foundations - Skid, concrete slab, poured concrete pier, concrete block pier, precast pier.
8x12 Gable Shed Floor Plan
8x12 Gable Shed Plans Exterior Elevations
8x12 Gable Shed Plans Include The Following:
- Alternalte Options: The shed plans have alternate drawings for the door on the end or sides.
- Foundation: 5 different foundations are included in the plans; Wood skid, Concrete slab, Concrete Block Pier, Pre-cast pier and Poured Concrete Pier
- Floor = 2x6 floor joists at 16" on center with 3/4" floor sheathing.
- Wall Height: The shed wall height is 6'-5" for a taller wall shed visit our 8x12 tall wall shed plans.
- Door: Home Built Door
- 3'-10 1/2" x 5'-10 1/2" door is built using sandwich construction for strength and durability. Our door plan shows you how to build a shed door that will outlive the shed. The shed door is built using a 2x4 inner frame faced on the inside with 1/2" O.S.B. and on the outside there is a layer of T-111 to match the rest of the shed. We use 3 hinges on the doors and the screws go into the inner 2x4 frame of the door to give extra strength.
- Roof: The roof is framed using 2x4's to build rafter trusses. The plans include instructions to build the trusses using top and bottom chords and 1/2" O.S.B. gussets. It is sheeted with 1/2" O.S.B. (or 5/8 if you want to make it extra strong.) The plans give you the dimensions and cut angles so you can build the roof rafters on the ground and then put them up on the top plates.
- Roof Overhang: 5-1/2" on the eves and 1" gable ends.
- Roofing = 25 year asphalt shingles.
- Siding = T1-11 siding or similar 4'x8' wood or cement panel siding is specified. This can be changed to use any siding you like.
- Trim = 1x3 and 1x6 wood, masonite or cement trim materials are used to finish the corners, roof eves and facia, and door.
- Roof Pitch: 4/12, this means that for every 4 inches of rise there is 12 inches of run horizontally.
- Floor Load: 50 pounds per square foot for framed floors. You don't want your shed floor to feel spongy.
- Roof Snow Load: 40 pounds per square foot. This is more than adequate for most areas. If you live in an area with a high snow load you should check with your local building department for your local snow load. Contact us and we can specify stronger roof framing.
Sample of our 8x12 gable end storage shed plans
Exterior Detail Plans
The exterior details are what gives the shed its look. The details sheet shows where to place the trim boards on the corners, door, roof eves and soffit. The standard trim is 1/2" x 3 1/2" and 1/2" x 5 1/2" masonite or cement or wood trim boards.
Foundation And Floor Framing Plan
The main foundation plan for our 8x12 storage shed is built using 6x6 pressure treated wood skids. These boards keep the floor off the ground and make the shed easier to move if necessary. There are also plans included that show how to build a Pre-Cast Pier Foundation, Slab Foundation and Building Section, Concrete Pier Foundation Plan and Section and Isometric, Concrete Pier Floor Framing Plan
Wall Framing Plans
The shed walls are framed using 2x4 lumber at 16" on center for the studs and top and bottom plates. They are sheeted with T-111 exterior siding. You can add other sidings such as stucco or stone to match your home if you like.
Roof Framing Plans
The roof is framed using simple 2x4's at 24" o.c. to stick frame the rafters. The plans give you the dimensions and cut angles so you can build the roof rafters on the ground and then put them up on the top plates. The roof is sheeted using 1/2" O.S.B.
Since the door is the only moving part on the shed it needs to be built strong. Our door plan shows you how to build a shed door that will outlive the shed. The shed door is built using a 2x4 inner frame faced on the inside with 1/2" O.S.B. and on the outside there is a layer of T-111 to match the rest of the shed. We use 3 hinges on the doors and the screws go into the inner 2x4 frame of the door to give extra strength.
Large Views of 8x12 Shed Plans
8x12 Gable Shed Plans
8x12 Gable Shed Built In Canada
What People Say About iCreatables Sheds. CLICK FOR MORE INFO
"I'm declaring victory over the shed project. Thanks for the great plans and for answering my various e-mails along the way." John
You guys are awesome! Thank you very much!" Denise