12x16 Backyard Shed Plans
Building plans for a 12'x 16' storage shed for your yard or garden.
12x16 Backyard Shed Plans
Emailed Plans: $16.99
(8 1/2" x 11" emailed PDF)
Postal Mailed Plans: $21.99
(8 1/2" x 11" postal mailed to you)
All Our Shed Plans Feature:
- FREE - How To Build A Shed eBook included with every shed plans purchase.
- Cost Effective - Our shed plans are designed to make your shed simple and inexpensive to build.
- Easy To Build From - Professionally drawn with step by step instructions to show both an old pro or a first time framer how to build a shed. (see the plans example below).
- Start Now - Instant download - The shed plans are emailed to you when you purchase so you can start immediately. We use the free PDF file format so you can print them on your home printer or we can postal mail them to you.
- Materials List - Easily get bids and use the list numbering system to know what part goes where.
The 12x16 storage shed plans include:
- 8'-1" wall height - The 8'-1" wall height lets you use 92-5/8" framing studs just like a home.
- Factory or Home Built Doors - Using a pre hung door makes the door building and hanging job much easier. The shed plans also include door plans if you prefer to build your own doors.
- Multiple Door Options - Drawings explaining how to build the door on the end or sides of the shed.
- 5 Foundations - Skid, concrete slab, poured concrete pier, concrete block pier, precast pier.
12x16 Gable Shed Floor Plan
12x16 Gable Shed Plans Exterior Elevations
12x16 Gable Shed Plans Include The Following:
- Alternalte Options: There are two door options to build the 12x16 shed with the double doors on the gable end or the eve side.
- Materials List:The 12x16 garden shed plans come with a complete materials list that is broken down by parts of the shed.
- 5 Foundations: There are 5 different foundations are included in the plans; 6x6 Wood skid, Concrete slab, Concrete Block Pier, Poured Concrete Pier and Precast pier.
- Floor = 2x8 floor joists at 16" on center with 3/4" floor sheathing.
- Walls Framing: 2x4 framing at 16" on center with a double top plate, just like a home is framed.
- Wall Height: The shed wall height is 8'-1" which is framed using a standard 92-5/8" wall stud.
- Door: The door to be used is a factory built door on pre hung jamb. This door is easy to install and available at most home stores and door shops. You can install a single door or move the doors anywhere along the walls you choose.
- Roof: The roof is framed using 2x4's to build rafter trusses. The plans include instructions to build the trusses using top and bottom chords and 1/2" O.S.B. gussets. It is sheeted with 1/2" O.S.B. (or 5/8 if you want to make it extra strong.) The plans give you the dimensions and cut angles so you can build the roof rafters on the ground and then put them up on the top plates.
- Roof Overhang: 5-1/2" on the eves and 1" gable ends.
- Roofing = 25 year asphalt shingles.
- Siding = T1-11 siding or similar 4'x8' wood or cement panel siding is specified. This can be changed to use any siding you like.
- Trim = 1x3 and 1x6 wood, masonite or cement trim materials are used to finish the corners, roof eves and facia, and door.
- Roof Pitch: 4/12, this means that for every 4 inches of rise there is 12 inches of run horizontally.
- Floor Load: 50 pounds per square foot for framed floors. You don't want your shed floor to feel spongy. This stronger floor costs less than $15.00 for most sheds and greatly increases the strength of the floor.
- Roof Snow Load: 40 pounds per square foot. This is more than adequate for most areas. If you live in an area with a high snow load you should check with your local building department for your local snow load. Contact us and we can specify stronger roof framing.
Sample of our 12x16 Gable shed plans
Exterior Detail Plans The exterior details are what gives the shed its look. Wood shed plans are typically trimmed with wood, masonite, cement or vinyl trim boards. The details sheet on the 12x16 storage shed plans shows where to place the trim boards on the corners, door, roof eves and soffit. The standard trim is 1/2" x 3 1/2" and 1/2" x 5 1/2" masonite or cement or wood trim boards.
Foundation And Floor Framing Plan The main foundation plan for our 12x16 storage shed is built using 6x6 pressure treated wood skids. These boards keep the floor off the ground and make the shed easier to move if necessary. There are also plans included that show how to build a Pre-Cast Pier Foundation, Slab Foundation and Building Section, Concrete Pier Foundation Plan and Section and Isometric, Concrete Pier Floor Framing Plan
Wall Framing Plans The shed walls are framed using 2x4 lumber at 16" on center for the studs and top and bottom plates. They are sheeted with T-111 exterior siding. You can add other sidings such as stucco or stone to match your home if you like.
Roof Framing Plans The roof is framed using simple 2x4's at 24" o.c. to stick frame the rafters. The plans give you the dimensions and cut angles so you can build the roof rafters on the ground and then put them up on the top plates. The roof is sheeted using 1/2" O.S.B.
Finding out how to build a 12x16 storage shed starts with a good set of shed plans. These 12x16 storage shed plans will instruct you how to build a garden shed or storage shed that can be used for many things such as garden tool storage, home storage, and greenhouse shed things. Garden sheds can be as simple as basic storage shed in the garden or a detailed, ornate, shed that is the focal point of your garden.
What People Say About iCreatables Sheds. CLICK FOR MORE INFO
"I'm declaring victory over the shed project. Thanks for the great plans and for answering my various e-mails along the way." John
You guys are awesome! Thank you very much!" Denise